To reserve a rabbit, please see the guide below titled "Reserving a Rabbit".
Palomino kits: Closed, will open after Memorial Day.
Blanc de hotot kits: Closed, will open after Memorial Day.
Rabbit Meat: Closed until after Memorial Day.
***RABBITS FOR SALE***
New Zealand- Solid Chestnut doe, $20. DOB 03/05/22. Dam is a pedigreed REW NZ doe, and sire is an unpedigreed broken black buck. We are phasing out NZ's, so future litters will only be for meat. No pedigree. Friendliest of the litter.
Golden Palomino- Dreamcatcher x Manifest:
Kindled on 04/14/22. Pedigreed golden palominos, both BOB winners. It looks like only one doe in the whole litter! Will be tattooed Memorial weekend. Reserved from this litter:
First pick doe: Reserved
First pick buck: Reserved
Blanc de Hotot- Ricochet x Halo: Kindled on 04/13/22. Pedigreed Blanc de Hotot pairing between show quality rabbits. One kit is a 'boxer', two kits are show quality, and the rest are DQ for too light of eyeband colors. Both show quality kits from this litter are reserved at this time, and we do not expect to open up the list from this litter.
Golden Palomino- Everglow x HH1: A litter of six was kindled on 05/14/22. A buck kit is reserved from this litter. First pick of two does is reserved.
Blanc de Hotot- Oddity x Ricochet: A litter was kindled on 05/15/22. Reserved from this list is first pick doe.
New Zealand- Anarchy (REW) x Echo: Expected kindle date of 05/18/22. This litter will finish fulfilling our NZ reservation list. Extra kits from this litter will be butchered for meat.
New Zealand- Minty (REW) x Echo: This litter is for meat, and is reserved in it's entirety.
Caramel Apple- French angora doe, new to our homestead! Due with a litter late June.
Simple, healthy, self-sufficient: providing the best for you and your family!
We are passionate about growing healthy, organic and heirloom fruits, vegetables, and seeds. Our homestead does not use synthetic fertilizers nor chemical herbicides in our gardens. We believe in the power of learning and teaching skills for a self-sustainable lifestyle. Strongly advocating for the genetic protection and conservation of endangered livestock and poultry breeds, we raise rare rabbit breeds to promote their necessity for meat, fur, and presence in the show ring.
Our homestead sells:
- Heirloom seeds and plants
- Jam, jelly, and preserves
- Cowboy candy (pickled jalapenos grown from our garden)
- Sourdough bread
- Cookies and pies
- Rabbits for breeding stock, pets, and show ring
- Rabbit meat (whole carcass, pieced, or ground)
- Rabbit manure- perfect for your vegetable and flower garden!
- Rabbit pelts and lucky feet
- Handspun yarn
- Needle felted creatures
- Custom sewing projects
Follow us on Facebook:
We are on TikTok!
Follow us on Instagram:
We're on Etsy!
Education & Credentials:
- Bachelor Degree: Business Leadership & Management, Wisconsin Lutheran College, 2020.
- Associates Degree: Arts & Science- the University of Wisconsin Washington County, 2011.
- American Sheep Industry Association webinar: "The Conservation and Comeback of Heritage Breed Sheep", 09/08/2020.
- ARBA member (American Rabbit Breeders Association) since 03/03/2021.
- Approved & registered rabbitry with ARBA since 03/17/2021.
- Palomino Rabbit Co-Breeders Association (PRCBA) member since 03/21/2021.
- Livestock Conservancy member since 03/20/2021.
- SE2SE (Shave 'Em to Save 'Em) passport member since September 2020- have achieved first tier level of completion.
2022 Rabbit Show Results:
- Lakeland Rabbit Show, 02/13: HH4 "Dreamcatcher" junior palomino doe won Best of Breed and Best of Variety (golden).
- Badger Rabbit Breeders Show, 03/12: "Dreamcatcher" intermediate palomino doe won Best of Breed.
At this time, we raise pedigreed golden palomino, pedigreed blanc de hotot, and unpedigreed New Zealand rabbits. We are slowly phasing out our New Zealand rabbits, and will rarely be selling them in the future. The reason: our palomino rabbits are out-preforming the NZ breed. The palomino does make better mothers, especially for the first time kindling, have consistently large litter sizes, more kits survive until weaning, and the kits dress out to be the same end weight. Palomino does are also not as food "greedy" as NZ does, and require less food when raising kits during the first three weeks. The pals have better personalities as well, in our opinion. They are calmer, easier to be bred by the bucks, and very easy going.
We are still keeping one or two NZ does strictly to provide meat, and as an experiment to test "hybrid vigor" with our other purebred bucks of different breeds. So, they are only for our own purposes. We encourage homesteaders and families to try palominos as a hearty meat breed rabbit! If you are set on raising NZ rabbits, please search the ARBA website for a registered rabbitry.
If you are new to raising meat rabbits, please check out: https://homesteadrabbits.com/raise-meat-rabbits/
This website goes into great detail about which breeds work best, how to get started, and why meat rabbits are a great choice for your family.
Our rabbits are fed an 18% protein commercial pellet in addition to free-choice salt licks, seasonal vegetables and herbs from our own garden, quality hay, and apple branch sticks. They receive fresh water which contains a small amount of apple cider vinegar to promote health and vigor. The rabbits also receive enrichment toys for mental stimulation and fun, including items like stacking cups, tumbling bells, pinecones and cardboard tubes filled with hay and sticks.
About our rabbit meat:
Make your reservation ahead of time to get rabbit meat just the way you like it! We sell rabbit meat in a variety of ways:
- Whole carcass = chef style or basic trim. Chef style includes fat left on, liver tucked inside the unbroken body cavity, and kidneys left intact. Basic trim removes most of the fat and does not contain organs.
- Pieces = loins (tenderloin/backloin), rear legs, front legs, front saddle (ribs and loin meat), and belly flaps.
When reserved ahead of time, we will fully customize how your rabbit meat is butchered and packaged. All meat is vacuum sealed in clear plastic and includes sticker of important information. All meat is sold by the pound.
Rabbit manure: gold for your garden!
Being a "cold" manure, rabbit droppings can immediately go into your garden with no wait time for decomposing. Sold in empty feed bags, our rabbit manure will give your garden an extra boost. Please note that bags of rabbit "cocoa puffs" may also contain a small amount of hay or straw, because rabbits can be messy eaters!
How do you weigh rabbit meat for sale?
Our business uses a 40 lb. digital price computing scale that is certified Legal for Trade. It is NTEP Approved, meaning: "This item meets all government standards and requirements as set by the National Institute of Standards and Technology for scale and other weighing equipment." It is Accuracy Class III, is stainless steel construction, and weighs in .01 pound increments. In Wisconsin, scales (including those used to weigh meat), must have a National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) Certificate of Conformance. Any commercial scale manufactured after January 1, 1986 must be labeled Class III.
What does that mean for YOU?
In short, our scale conforms to legal standards set by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. This means we are being fair to YOU, our beloved customers!
- We prefer cash for payment, but also accept Paypal and checks. (Checks will be cashed ahead of time to ensure validity.) We are currently exploring the option of credit cards that can be used at craft fairs and farmers markets :)
- You may be asked to put down a non-refundable deposit on certain items. This ensures that we can find another home for a rabbit, or another buyer for produce should you not be able to pickup your reserved items/animals.
- A 24 hour notice is required if you are unable to pickup products/rabbits in order to reschedule. Failure to do so means forfeiture of said products/rabbits and may be resold to other interested parties. We fully understand that "life happens", and ask you to be respectful as well.
- Rabbits will not be held past twelve weeks of age unless agreed upon beforehand. Rabbits are only sold in good health. If a rabbit has a pedigree, the pedigree will only be given at the time of pickup or delivery.
- Pricing of rabbits are determined by several factors: the use of the animal, fur type, color, show quality potential and age. Generally speaking, does are more expensive than bucks, and rare breeds are more expensive than common breeds.
- Rabbits can be picked up at The Humble Homestead, LLC by appointment only. We reserve the right to meet at a nearby, pre-determined location. (Please see note about RHDV2 below.) Please bring a cage/carrier for your rabbit(s). If you need a carrier, for a small additional fee we offer thick, pet cardboard transfer boxes with a handle. These boxes will have a puppy pad liner on the bottom, a thick amount of straw, and something for the rabbit to nibble on, like hay, a carrot or zucchini slice. Note: these carriers should only be utilized for short distances as there is no water bottle.
- We are open and honest about our rabbits lineage and do our utmost best to showcase their features and personalities. If you are purchasing a rabbit for show purposes, we will be more than happy to send you additional pictures and videos, so you can make an informed decision. We cannot guarantee that any rabbit sold will win competitions or awards. As a rabbit matures, it may develop features that are disqualifications or faults on the show table; this is not the responsibility of The Humble Homestead, LLC and is a risk that every rabbit buyer takes.
- At this time, we have a NO RETURN policy on rabbits, nor any products.
- The Humble Homestead, LLC has the right to refuse any sale, at any time, to anyone, for any reason without explanation.
Please note: As of April 4th, 2022, Speedee Delivery will no longer transport live rabbits. It will be up to the buyer to arrange any transportation.
How to Reserve a Rabbit:
If you are interested in reserving a rabbit, please contact us preferably by email or Facebook messenger. Let us know your name (first and surname), which breed(s) you are interested in, and if there is an ID# for the rabbit. A 25% non-refundable deposit must be made once we come to an agreement of the exact rabbit(s) that you'd like. You will be expected to have a general timeline of when you can pick up the rabbit(s), and are responsible for transportation.
Kits are not kept past 12 weeks of age. If you do not have your kit(s) picked up by that age, they are forfeit to be resold or butchered. Rabbits need to be separated at that age, and for their safety, need to be in individual cages after that time. If you are unable to pickup your reserved kit(s) during that time, please let us know ASAP.
It might sound morbid, but our reservation list for rabbit meat is as long as those wishing to obtain live rabbits for show, breeding and pet purposes. We adhere to a strict breeding schedule, which gives our rabbits plenty of time to grow, be weaned from their mother, and enjoy the first few months of their life. For that reason, we cannot hold kits longer than 12 weeks, because the cage space is needed for other growing rabbits. Rest assured that rabbits do not go to waste, and we only breed enough rabbits to be sold during that timeframe.
With RHDV2 (Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus 2) on the rise within the United States, our homestead has chosen to cage raise our rabbits for their safety. RHDV2 is a fatal, fast spreading disease that kills wild and domestic rabbits. Our cage sizes and quality exceed the standard set by ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association). At this time, we reserve the right to limit visitation to our rabbitry and appreciate your understanding. We will happily take additional videos and pictures of any rabbits you may have interest in.